Mike Fuller is a technology enthusiast and widely regarded for his expertise in obtaining, licensing, and managing due diligence on patents involving molecular biology and computer science. Sought after for his creativity and unique ability to obtain highly valuable IP, Mike is devoted to protecting his client’s innovations. Combined scientific and high-technology backgrounds give Mike a deep understanding of complex technologies, including machine learning/AI systems, bioinformatics, next generation sequencing and medical diagnostic systems and software. Collaborating with clients to develop strong, enforceable, IP portfolios in technologies as diverse as autonomous driving, lithium ion batteries, medical diagnostics, web systems and services, DNA sequencing, gene amplification, pharmaceutical proteins and therapeutic monoclonal antibodies is the hallmark of Mike’s practice. In addition to developing these and other highly valued IP portfolios, Mike represents his clients in high stakes contentious matters in front of the USPTO, including inter partes reviews (IPRs) and ex parte patent re-examinations. Dedication to meaningful client collaboration, while coming to the table with the requisite science and technology knowledge, allows Mike to offer tangible efficiencies in every area of his practice
He is managing partner of the Knobbe Martens office in San Diego, a member of the Executive Committee, and Chair of the firm’s Biotechnology Practice Group. He speaks internationally on a variety of intellectual property topics, and has been actively engaged in national debates over IP issues through his many years of service with the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO). He is also involved as a mentor and advocate for Southern California startups as a Board Member of San Diego Tech Coast Angels.
Some accolades include recognition as one of the San Diego Business Journal’s most influential business leaders in San Diego from 2017 – 2020, a San Diego Super Lawyer for 2015-2018, and one of the “World’s Leading Patent Professionals” in the 2018 Patent 1000 guide by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine. A full list of Mike’s accomplishments can be found in the Awards & Honors section.
As a graduate student, Mike worked on software and biologic analyses of cholesterol-carrying apolipoproteins to advance the understanding of atherosclerosis and heart disease. Following graduate school he co-founded several high-technology startups that designed and fabricated personal computer motherboards, and created custom software and services for a variety of businesses.
University of San Diego School of Law (USD), J.D.
University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA), M.S., Biology
University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA), B.S., Biology
State Bar of California
U.S. District Court – Southern District of California
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Antibodies & Immunology
Research Tools & Reagents
Electrical, Semiconductor & Computer Technology
Electronics & Semiconductors
Software & IT
Financial Services & Business Methods
Blockchain & Smart Contracts
Medical Devices & Procedures
AI & Machine Learning
Antibodies & Immunology
Transportation & Vehicles
Automotive Transportation & Powersports
Electronics (Audio / Video, Communication, Navigation, Security)
Global Portfolio Management
Patent Strategy & Prosecution
Trade Secret Protection Advice, Counseling, Employee & Nondisclosure Agreements
U.S. Patent Prosecution
Mike has received multiple awards and has been honored in both national and international forums for his legal accomplishments:
- Named one of the “World’s Leading Patent Professionals” in the Patent 1000 guide for transactions (2018) and for both transactions and prosecution (2019-2023) by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine. In 2023, Mike was described as an “outstanding practitioner” who “enjoys a wonderfully holistic practice and delivers tremendous value, thanks to his refined portfolio building and transactional skills.” In 2018, Mike was recognized for “taking charge of [the firm’s] biotech section, doing deals with big pharmaceutical companies, and never losing his passion for the underlying technology in the closing stages of year-long negotiations”. He was also commended for being “exceptionally creative in overcoming roadblocks without handing away his clients’ advantages”.
- Recognized in The Legal 500 “United States” 2019 and 2015 as being an outstanding practitioner. In 2015, he was noted for overseeing a number of inter partes reviews and ex parte patent re-examinations.
- Named to the San Diego Business Journal’s (SDBJ) SD 500 list from 2017 – 2019 as one of the most “influential business leaders in San Diego”.
- Named a 2018 and 2022 “Life Science Star” for Patent Strategy & Management in the Legal Media Group’s (LMG) “LMG Life Sciences” Guide. Mike was recognized for providing outstanding work to his life sciences clients in the areas of portfolio management, due diligence, and licensing agreements. He was praised by a client for “knowing the field and [being] great at communicating”.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2015-2018 San Diego Super Lawyers lists where he was recognized for his work in intellectual property law.
- Recognized among the world’s leading practitioners of patent law in Who’s Who Legal’s 2016 edition of the international “Who’s Who Legal: Patents” list.
- Named to the Daily Journal‘s list of Top Intellectual Property Attorneys of 2014, where he was recognized among the Top 25 Portfolio Managers & Patent Prosecutors of Intellectual Property.
- Selected as a “Top Attorney” in 2010 by The San Diego Transcript in the area of Intellectual Property Transactional work. Top attorneys were selected based on a survey of peers in the legal community.
- Selected as one of America’s top 250 patent and licensing practitioners for 2010 by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) in their IAM Licensing 250: The World’s Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Practitioners guide.
- American Bar Association
- Evonexus Startup Incubator – 2018 Board Member
- Intellectual Property Owners Association – Biotech and Pharmaceutical Issues Committee
- Licensing Executives Society
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Financial Forum
- San Diego CONNECT
- San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- Tech Coast Angels – 2018 Board Member