For nearly two decades, Sheila Swaroop has served as a passionate advocate and formidable litigator representing businesses of all sizes, ranging from small, fast-growing companies to major, established brands and market leaders. Her industry experience and technological know-how is extensive, and includes life sciences, pharmaceuticals, medical and dental devices, and consumer goods. A registered patent attorney, Sheila advises on pre-litigation strategy and enforcement, as well as the litigation of disputes through trial and appeal in district court, the International Trade Commission (ITC) and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
Regardless of the size or complexity of the dispute, Sheila’s dedication to devising the right approach to problem-solving, either on attack or defense, has resulted in a favorable track record of success both in and out of court. Sheila understands how the court system works as both a litigator and having previously worked for a judge. She is personally committed to “the win,” and feels a sense of ownership in achieving the right result for her clients.
Tenacious and responsive, Sheila makes a point of knowing the facts and details of every claim in order to create an advantage for her clients. Because she has served as both plaintiff’s and defendant’s counsel, Sheila offers a holistic point of view when identifying the strengths and weaknesses of a case and then presenting the most effective argument. Because her client’s business objectives ultimately drive the litigation strategy, Sheila is reasonable, and her approach to advocacy and negotiation supports the settlement process if and when appropriate.
Sheila’s litigation skills are demonstrated by her tangible experience before the International Trade Commission (ITC). When representing the patent owner, Sheila was able to block an infringing competitor’s products from entering the U.S. for her client, one of the world’s largest dental implant manufacturers. On defense, Sheila helped to obtain dismissal of an ITC case prior to trial on behalf of a medical device client. Sheila’s ability to manage complex litigation issues on an expedited time frame are supported by her first-hand knowledge of the unique rules, regulations and procedural aspects of the ITC.
Sheila is a founding member and current President of the Howard T. Markey Intellectual Property Inn of Court. In addition, she previously served as a member of the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, a board member of the Orange County chapter of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, and a former President of the South Asian Bar Association of Southern California.
Law clerk to the Honorable Saundra Brown Armstrong, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 1999-2000
Judicial extern to the Honorable Gary L. Taylor, U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 1997
University of California – Berkeley (CAL), J.D.
Harvard University, B.A., Biology
State Bar of California
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court – Central District of California
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Aesthetic & Cosmetic Biotechnology
Antibodies & Immunology
Research Tools & Reagents
Stem Cells & Regenerative Medicine
Chemical, Industrial & Materials
Consumer Products & Services
Fashion & Beauty
Medical Devices & Procedures
Inter Partes Review (IPR)
Patent Trial & Appeal Board (PTAB) Litigation
Trade Secret & Employee Mobility Litigation
Trademark & Brand Protection
Trademark and Brand Protection Litigation
Unfair Competition Litigation
- Named one of “The World’s Leading Patent Professionals” for Litigation in the Patent 1000 guide by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine (2023). In the 2023 guide, Sheila was described as “an experienced and accomplished litigator. She advocates clearly, concisely, objectively and effectively, and has an excellent knowledge of the law and litigation strategy. Sheila is calm under pressure and applies an open, collaborative and pragmatic approach to her work.”
- Recognized by The Legal 500 “United States” for Patent Litigation (2023)
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for her work in intellectual property litigation (2018 – 2022, 2024) and patent litigation (2023 – 2024)
- Recipient of the “2023 Asian Leadership Award” by Profiles in Diversity Journal®
- Selected for inclusion in the 2017 – 2021 “Southern California Super Lawyers” lists for her work in intellectual property litigation by Super Lawyers magazine
- Named a 2018 and 2022 “Life Science Star” for Patent Litigation in the Legal Media Group’s (LMG) “LMG Life Sciences” Guide
- Named to the Daily Journal’s list of 2017 “Top IP Lawyers in California”
- Named one of the “Top Women Attorneys in Southern California” by Super Lawyers from 2012 to 2015
- Consistently named as one of Southern California’s “Rising Stars” in intellectual property law in yearly surveys of her peers published by the Los Angeles magazine and Super Lawyers magazine (2005-2016)
- Howard T. Markey Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Member, Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Lawyer Representative, Central District of California
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- South Asian Bar Association of Southern California
- Harbor Day School Board of Trustees